Thursday, July 26, 2012

Toronto by Bike

What a fantastic day!

I love being active but it's not always easy to find others who enjoy it as much as myself.  Well, my daughter does and today, we decided to "Take Toronto by Bike".



We picked up our folding bikes at the Yacht Club and drove down to the Beaches where we parked the car. 




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The waterfront trail is fantastic, and the ride is easy as it is flat the whole way.



There's always something new to discoverer in this mega city.  Today we stumbled upon the new Sugar Beach, at the foot of lower Jarvis Street.






 "Play Me, I'm Yours"
We were pleasantly surprised when we stumbled upon a Whimsical Piano at Sugar Beach, as we had not heard of the 41 pianos scattered across the city of Toronto .  By the end of the day, we discovered 3 more.  We'll have to find the remaining 37 on another visit.  Evidently each piano has a caretaker that covers the piano at night.  The Pianos are a celebration of the three-year countdown of the 2015 Pan American Game.  Each Piano represents a participating Country.  




China Town has it's own energy.  I've never been to China but I can almost fool myself while at Spadina and Dundas.






We took our time to explore the city and covered so much ground in 4 hours.  Biking on the street is not for everyone, but I get a rush when I'm in the midst of everything.  Biking on Spadina with a bus next to me, cars behind and the sidewalk covered in people is exhilarating.   I've often been asked if I'm scared biking on the street, but to be honest, "I'm more scared when biking on the sidewalk".  I've had more close calls while on the sidewalk as the cars don't even take you into consideration. 


Yonge - Dundas Square has really changed in the last few years.  I don't ever remember so many billboards but I like it as it brings energy to the square.

                                                                                                                                                                    The Distillery District is such a treat.  We're in the city but at the same time we're not.  It's quiet. The historic buildings, streets lined with outdoor patios and various art galleries is like a smörgåsbord.  Each time you visit you sample some.  
                                                                                                                                 


The City of Toronto has a bottomless supply of things to see and do.

One does not have to be bored in this city!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen any of the pianos yet, I'll have to go on an expedition! I agree, there is so much to see and do here in Toronto. I love the diversity and variety in the city, it's really amazing!

    ReplyDelete