Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Taste of Sweden

I'm determined to rekindle with my Simple Pleasures in life....one of them being entertaining. 
 I'd forgotten how much fun it is to entertain and have friends over.  Last time I had a dinner party at home must have been around Christmas time, which is almost a year ago.

I invited some friends over for an impromptu meal to sample some Swedish cuisine.  We had Nubbe Sallad as appetizer ( translated into Snaps Salad),  which combines potatoes, herring, eggs, onions, dill, sour cream and mayo for a safe introduction to herring as the herring is barely noticeable. .  My quests told me they enjoyed it so I hope they weren't just being polite.  Then we sampled some Swedish style crayfish.  They must have been a big hit as there were none left.

I also introduced my friends to the Swedish tradition of a shot of Aquavit between courses.  In Sweden snaps is usually drunk during meals, especially during the appetizer course and it's usually drunk while singing one of many drinking songs.  Watch out below, here it comes!  Bottom Up!

 For the main course, I decided upon something very predictable; Scalloped Potatoes and Pork Tenderloin with Cafe-De-Paris sauce.  I'm sure many swedes would call this boring; I call it safe! 



Lingonberry Parfait, served in Chrystal glasses passed down from my late mother-in-law, and Boston Pie Cream Pudding topped with Chocolate presented in my late grandmother's petite vintage porcelain cups was on the Dessert Menu.  I don't believe in saving my collectibles for another day!  Find a new way of using them and they won't be collecting dust at the back of the cupboard. 

It was a great evening and I believe my guests enjoyed it as well;  I already got my thinking cap on planning my next venue..

1 comment: