Friday, March 25, 2011

Våffeldagen - Waffle Day

Today is Waffle Day in Sweden.  It is celebrated on the day that Archangel Gabriel appeared before Virgin Mary to tell her she was pregnant with Jesus, March 25th.

In the past, this day was called "Vårfrudagen", translates into something like Our Lady's Day, after the title of the Virgin Mary.  Over time people 'reshaped' the name to "Våffeldagen", which sounded somewhat similar.  Hence, the tradition of eating waffles.

So today, I treated the family to waffles with whip-cream and strawberry jam.  I would have preferred cloud-berry jam but it is real difficult to come by, especially the home made type.


Waffles come in many shapes and sizes, but in Sweden it's common with a heart shaped waffle, so when I found a waffle maker in Canada that produced heart shaped waffles, I had to have it.  I put it on my Christmas wish list one year, and Santa must have listened.


It's foolproof;  select your ideal texture, pour in the batter, close the lid, and wait for it to beep.  This is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets..

There are numerous recipes for waffles.  This is the one I went with today:

Waffles

100 gram butter
300 ml flour
Pinch of salt
400 ml milk
1 tsp baking powder

Melt the butter.  Cool.
Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in bowl.
Whisk in half the milk until smooth.  Add the rest of the milk and the melted butter.
Whisk until smooth.  Let rest for a few minutes.
Stir the batter in between waffles, as the flour tends to settle to the bottom.

Last time I made waffles, I used a different recipe and I thought they were better. I'm gonna have to experiment a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment