Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back To School - New Start

It is sad to see summer coming to an end, but at the same time a relief that the kids are back at school and I can have some sort of routine to my day.  It's funny, I love my sailing weekends, leisurely with no plans what so ever, but at home I thrive on routine.  I'm really a "to-do-list" person.  I have a list posted on the fridge and there's a sense of accomplishment when I get to check "things" off.  Today I had a marathon cleaning session, and it sure was a good feeling when it was all done.  Like the snake that sheds its skins, I do the same when I reorganize and de-clutter  the household.  A form of rejuvenation..a new start. 

Beginning of school also signals the start of new beginnings for me.  I've surely indulged in an unhealthy eating pattern over the summer so today is the day for redemption.  I've "pre-warned" the family that we I not purchase any "processed" foods, such as boxed meals, packaged cookies, high fat foods, canned foods, white bread, sugary cereals, processed meats, packaged snacks etc., for the remainder of September.  We'll enjoy eating more vegetables and fruits, and if we want treats, we'll make them.   I'm looking forward to preparing our meals without relying on semi-prepared or "processed" ingredients.   It shall be interesting to see if we will spend more or less on our "food" budget.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your diet resolution! It is certainly the right season for it, lots of fresh ingredients from local farmers.

    This month my book club is reading The Way We Eat - Why our Foods Choices Matter. Not eating processed foods is not just good for you, it's good for the planet.

    Share any outstanding recipes!

    ReplyDelete