Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Swedish Porterstek (Porter Roast)

I considered myself a fairly good cook, but when it comes to cooking an oven roast, I never seem to produce a melt-in-your-mouth piece of meat.  I have found a fool-proof-way though, and that is by simmering the roast on the stove top.  The annual dinner at Grandma's house during Christmas break was often Porterstek.  I remember enjoying my share of meat & potatoes, drenched in gravy, so much that I always, always had seconds, if not thirds. 

So today, I decided to make a Porterstek. I got the cookbook out and looked up the recipe.  Most ingredients were in my pantry, but I had to take a long walk to the grocery store to pick up Black Currant Syrup and then to the liquor store for a bottle of porter.  It  is a type of beer in the Ale family with a distinct dark brew in color.   This beer was very popular amongst the dock and transit workers during the 1800's in England, hence the name "Porter".

The great thing about this roast is that once all the ingredients goes in the pot, it takes care of itself.   I thought it tasted wonderful, just like Grandma's; I actually had three servings.  The kids said that it was "okay", because the gravy reminded them of  glögg. (that's our Swedish mulled wine at Christmas time).    The gravy has a unique tangy taste to it, and like glögg, it is probably an acquired taste. 

Porterstek Recipe

Approx. 1  kg roast

Cocking Liquid:
300ml porter beer
50 - 100 ml black current syrup
75 ml soy
6-7 dried juniper berries
6-8 white or black peppercorns
2 tsp oregano or thyme
2 sliced onions
3 beef bullion cubes

Mix all ingredients in one pot that will fit roast snugly.  Bring liquid to a boil, add roast and let simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hours.  Turn meat a few times throughout.  If you like to use a meat thermometer, remove meat when it reaches 75C.   Allow meat to cool in liquid for 20 minutes, before slicing thinly.

Strain cooking liquid and add water to to make 700ml.  Whisk 4 tbsp flour with 150 ml whip cream (or 18%), until smooth.  Add to cooking liquid, stir over medium heat until thickened.  Cook for 3-5 min. 
Porter Steak is a very well know dish in Sweden and  is usually served with potatoes, vegetables and black (or red) currant jelly.

Note:  A cup measures 250ml.

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely a recipe I will try! Maybe serve with Glog?

    Thanks so much for your support and encouragement on my blog, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete