Friday, October 4, 2013

Cauliflower Cheddar Soup


Growing up, I was never a fan of soups.  Perhaps, I had not tried the "creamy " types of soup yet, as I remember the soup being filled "with stuff".  I was a very picky eater and a bowl filled with chunky, slimy vegetables, floating in broth, did not appeal to me.

Today, I love soup.

A few weeks ago, I visited the little Village of Millbrook, with my daughter.  We decided to have lunch at the local diner and my daughter ordered the the Cauliflower & Cheddar Soup.  It was delicious.

For the past two weeks we've had a marathon of soups for dinner.  I've made broccoli, tomato, carrot, leek, minestrone, farmer's soup and lastly  I decided to try and  re-create the Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup.  It was so good that I wanted to eat the whole batch by myself..

Here's the recipe.







Cauliflower Cheddar Soup  (use less or more liquid to determine the thickness)
  • 1 head cauliflower, broken in florets
  • 1 diced onion
  • 2 chicken/vegetable bouillon cube + 1 cup of water ( or canned broth)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2  cups milk + 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch each of cayenne pepper, curry powder, white pepper and nutmeg.

  • In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.  Drain.  Puree half and break the rest into small pieces.
  • Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour over cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 10 minutes (do not boil). 

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Cauliflower Cheddar Soup". I have to appreciate your post & content flow. I found this post will be very useful for readers. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Get in touch with us via our websites vegetarian restaurant | sweet shop

    ReplyDelete