Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Shrove ( Pancake) Tuesday !

Today is Shrove Tuesday; the day before Lent.   Here in Canada we know it as Pancake Tuesday.

The teachers made the kids pancakes at school today; but that didn't stop my daughter from wanting them for dinner as well.

The  request was for Swedish pancakes though; crepes.  I actually never had "American pancakes" until I arrived in Canada.  As a child, "crepes" was served at dinner time at least a few times a month.  Mom would even get creative and make us a "pancake torte".  We never had syrup with the pancakes; we would either sprinkle some sugar or spread some nice homemade jam down the middle of the crepes, and then roll them up from one end and enjoy... For special occasions we would have whip cream.




So, as soon as I got home from work today, I quickly mixed up some batter to fry some crepes.

Basic Crepes Recipe

250 ml (1cup) flour 
1/2 tsp salt
600 ml milk
3 eggs
2 - 3 tbsp margarine or butter
 
1.  Mix flour and salt in a tall bowl. Add half the milk and mix until smooth.  Add the rest of the milk. Mix.  Add the eggs and whisk until blended.  Melt the margarine and add to batter.  Batter does not need to rest.

2. Pour approx. 1/2 cup of the batter in the center of a hot, lightly "greased"  frying pan (or crepe pan) . Tilt to spread the batter to the edges of the pan. Cook until the top is dry. Turn and cook the other side for about 15 seconds.

Stir the batter once in the while to keep the flour from settling to the bottom.

Makes about 10 large crepes.

Something I haven't eaten since I  was a child is Swedish Oven Pancake.  The pancake becomes puffy and golden brown, and is cut into squares.  Sometimes it's served for breakfast with fruit/jam etc., and  other times diced "pork" is added to the batter, and it becomes a quick supper meal.  I remember not being to fond of this dish, but I will give it a try again.  It's only been 30 years!




While we eat pancakes here in Canada for Shrove Tuesday, my family is eating Baked Brown Beans with Pork in Sweden.  And to round it off they'll have their Semlor for dessert.  Not sure if the beans is a local "tradition" as I know that some Swedes will have Pea Soup and Crepes for Shrove Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. looks deliciously thin.... my crepes are usually a bit thicker than I'd like. maybe I will try adding more butter...

    ReplyDelete